FAQs about Water Damage Remediation with SERVPRO
Here are some frequently asked questions about water damage remediation with SERVPRO.
How to clean up water damage in a home?
When a water emergency occurs in your home or business, it’s only natural to want to take action immediately. Below are some preliminary steps you can take before we arrive, but only attempt what you can do safely.
- Shut off the water source, if possible. If you’re not sure where the water is coming from, we’ll inspect and handle the situation as soon as we arrive. If you don’t know how to shut off the water, contact a plumber to help.
- Remove excess water by mopping, blotting, or wiping. This could include flooring and hard surface furniture which has standing water on it. Do not use your household vacuum to remove water, since it could cause damage to the vacuum or be unsafe.
- Protect carpet, rugs, drapes, and upholstered items from further damage. Place aluminum foil or parchment paper between furniture and wet carpet or rugs. Remove books, magazines, or other colored items from carpets and rugs. Hang draperies up with coated hangers to avoid contact with wet floors. Remove pillows or cushions from wet upholstered items.
- Avoid using electric or electronic items that have come into contact with water. This may include items such as light fixtures, ceiling fans, televisions, or appliances. If there is a possibility that someone else on the property may turn on an electric item that has come in contact with water, consider turning off the power to individual circuits within the power distribution panel of the property.
What is the typical cost for water damage restoration?
- The cost of a water loss will vary greatly depending on the severity of the situation.
What is water damage restoration?
- When water intrudes into a home or business, water damage restoration may be required. Water damage restoration is the professional process of removing unwanted water, drying and cleaning the structure and/or contents, and returning the property to its preloss condition. This is completed by professional technicians who are certified to follow industry standards using the proper methods and tools.
SERVPRO of Cass and St. Joseph counties is here to help! Call (269)-273-8777.